Sunday, February 21, 2010

AWOL

The Dutch call it "the crocus-holiday" -- the last week in February is a vacation for schoolkids and their parents. I haven't seen any crocuses yet save at the Bloemenmarkt, Amsterdam's floating flower market, but we are taking advantage of the break to enjoy a last (I hope) gasp of winter: skiing in the Swiss Alps. We'll be staying at the home of my mother's best friend from high school, who just happens to live in a chalet on the border of Switzerland and France.

So this channel may go dark for another week or so. Hope to have some great photos (and maybe a story or two) when we return.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh, we will be dreaming that we were with you skiing in the Swiss Alps this week.

    Your "minor challenges" blog brought back so many memories and captured those everyday challenges so well. We took our large wheelie suitcase to the grocery store in Zurich and then lugged it back up a STEEP and LONG hill several times a week. I thought I'd never take a car that pulls right up to my front door for granted again. But looking back, I miss the forced inefficiencies of car free living and errands done on foot.

    ReplyDelete

blog expat