Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bak(to the)fiets

Had to link to this blog with full-scale coverage of Amsterdam bike trends. 

http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

My only correction: what the author calls an "industrial work basket with the child in the suicide position" -- a Bakfiets -- is actually made for children and used by thousands if not millions of Dutch moms and dads.


My first reaction to these was both admiration and dismay, but the dismay has dissipated. I am getting used to children without helmets. Have not heard of any terrible head injuries among children transported on parents' bikes. I think the bicycle culture is more important to keeping kids safe than the safety gear. These days, I actually let Clara (12) ride home from school alone on her bike. The Dutch style of parenting for independent children is slowly wearing off on me . . . .

Meanwhile, Clara has asked to bring her old, battered purple Dutch city bike back to the states with her in August. I'm looking into it.

1 comment:

  1. This is Brian on Elena's machine.

    Will you be in Amsterday the week of June27?

    We will be in Paris the weekend before and may think of dashing over to see you or a day or two before going to Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete

blog expat